Paulmac’s Pets is part of the Pet Valu family of stores. Pet Valu informs all employees of our policies for supporting employees with disabilities when they are
hired and whenever there is a change to our policies for supporting employees with disabilities.
If you have an existing disability or acquire a disability while working at Pet Valu that requires
accommodation, we will work with you to create an individual accommodation plan using the process
- Upon your request for accommodation, we will consult with you to determine what accommodations you require to perform the duties of your job. There may also be times when we will initiate a dialogue to offer assistance and accommodation if you are clearly unwell or appear to have a disability.
- Your participation in the accommodation process will likely include the provision of appropriate medical information. We may also seek outside medical or other expert evaluations in order to ensure we have enough information to provide appropriate supports. To the extent that a third party medical evaluation is required, you will be provided with notice of and information regarding the evaluation in a timely fashion. You will, of course, be assessed in all cases on an individual basis.
To the extent that you would like a support person or other representative to participate in the accommodation process, you should let us know. Pet Valu will consider such requests in good
faith and agree to representation in appropriate circumstances.
All information and documentation obtained in connection with the accommodation process will be kept as confidential as possible and will be subject to Pet Valu’s regular privacy policies and practices.
- If it is determined that accommodation is required, we will complete an individual accommodation plan setting out the accommodations provided (which will be provided in accessible formats and/or with communication supports and will include workplace emergency response information if required). The plan will be completed and implemented with input from you and medical professionals, as appropriate.
- All individual accommodation plans will include information regarding the frequency with which the plan will be reviewed and the manner in which the review will take place, which will be reasonable having regard to individual circumstances.
- If is determined that accommodation is not required, you will be provided with notice of that decision in writing as soon as possible after the decision has been made.
- Employees who have been absent from work, and require disability-related accommodations in order to return to work, will also be provided with individual accommodation plans created in
accordance with the process described above.
- We will take into account what accommodations you may need to succeed elsewhere in the organization or to take on new responsibilities in your current position, to the extent that becomes relevant. If you have an individual accommodation plan in place, we will update the plan to reflect any changes to your position or responsibilities.
- We will take into account any accommodation needs and any individual accommodation plan in our career development, advancement and performance management processes. At Pet
Valu, the term “performance management” means activities related to assessing and improving your performance, productivity and effectiveness with the goal of facilitating your success.
Policy on Workplace Emergency Response Information
To the extent requested and required, Pet Valu will provide you with individualized workplace emergency response information to assist you in evacuating your workplace in an emergency. With your consent, we will also provide any person designated to provide assistance to you in an emergency with that information.
Policy on Recruiting, Interviewing and Selecting
We generally post vacant positions on the company website. The availability of accommodation(s) for applicants in the recruitment process is noted in all recruitment advertising as well as on the “Careers” page of the company website. We notify applicants when they are called for an interview or in the context of any other selection
processes about the availability of accommodations. We notify and advise successful applicant(s) of our policies for accommodating employees with disabilities.
Policy on Accessible Formats and Communication Supports
Upon request, Pet Valu will arrange for the provision of information that is needed in order to perform an employee’s job and information that is generally available to employees in the workplace in accessible
formats and with communication supports.